After stopping by the orphanage for a quick look-see, we head to Kuriftu. It's a 'spa' just outside Addis up in the hills. Addis, by the way, is surrounded by mountains. It sits about 7500 feet above sea level. Denver by contrast is about 5200 feet above sea level.
We arrive at Kuriftu about 10ish in the morning. We plan on spending the day here so I'm thinking it'll be dinner before I have another chance to contact Randy. As luck would have it, we get there and find out Kuriftu is wired for wifi. HOORAY! The wifi gods were looking down on us because wifi actually worked! Very unheard of.
So I take the boys over to the pool and get them situated while I snag a lounge chair and chill out and get connected to wifi on my iphone. #lovetechnology After a few tries, I connect with Randy via IM. So now he knows I am alive and well. Since it is messenger, I can't convey the whole story but I did 'talk' to him. You also have to consider the time difference. It's 10am Addis time. That means it's 3am Atlanta time. Didn't matter. He was awake and ready to talk. It just made my day!
what we see on the way to kuriftu
pay no attention to the stripes to divide the lanes.
no one else does
The whole day at Kuriftu was very surreal. You leave Addis with it's poverty and big city dirtiness and noise and you go into the mountains to peace and quiet. A place where mostly foreigners go. Not something I expected but I tried to enjoy as much as possible. Also to be considered is the fact that neither Judson or I had slept since Thursday night. It was Sunday morning. We were not alone in this sleep deprived state. Our house mates had arrived earlier that morning from Egypt, so they too were running on fumes.
first time kayaking for all 3 boys!
Ahhhh....my view at the pool.

No comments:
Post a Comment